Well, the test ended with mixed results. The corner was intentionally torn as an adhesion test. I think I should wipe the leather with a degreasing soap before applying leather next time. I think this might be the end of the project. Functionally speaking, we are better off using a laminated copy glued to a steel sheet for magnetically tracking territories owned.
The surface has a sheen to it despite two attempts with Dulcote. Overall, the picture is hazy and obscured in all but the important parts; namely, the numbers, legend and title. After printing I used a black gel pen to give a shadow to all the numbers, title and scale. I then yellowed the numbers with a yellow highlighter. The legend was missing too much to not fill in the blanks and to make some uniformity I had to write the entire legend. Much of it was just tracing over the words underneath.
Here is the image before transferring.
The detail in the black artwork was completely lost and I feared tearing of the image so I did not rub off the backing as well as I should have. This image will be laminated and attached to a steel back to allow use of magnets for tracking progress.
In conclusion, using a laser copy probably would be better, but I was able to obtain only ink jet copies. Despite all I read on the internet, I was able to use an ink jet copy and transfer it to both wood and leather. In addition to transfer testing, I was also able to better learn how to use my Photoshop Pro program.
Anyways, thanks for looking.