Well, the test ended with mixed results. The corner was intentionally torn as an adhesion test. I think I should wipe the leather with a degreasing soap before applying leather next time. I think this might be the end of the project. Functionally speaking, we are better off using a laminated copy glued to a steel sheet for magnetically tracking territories owned.
The surface has a sheen to it despite two attempts with Dulcote. Overall, the picture is hazy and obscured in all but the important parts; namely, the numbers, legend and title. After printing I used a black gel pen to give a shadow to all the numbers, title and scale. I then yellowed the numbers with a yellow highlighter. The legend was missing too much to not fill in the blanks and to make some uniformity I had to write the entire legend. Much of it was just tracing over the words underneath.
Here is the image before transferring.
The detail in the black artwork was completely lost and I feared tearing of the image so I did not rub off the backing as well as I should have. This image will be laminated and attached to a steel back to allow use of magnets for tracking progress.
In conclusion, using a laser copy probably would be better, but I was able to obtain only ink jet copies. Despite all I read on the internet, I was able to use an ink jet copy and transfer it to both wood and leather. In addition to transfer testing, I was also able to better learn how to use my Photoshop Pro program.
Anyways, thanks for looking.
Here’s my first attempt at tooling soapstone. Overall it came out well. The praying hands are a bit off. It is inspired by Bruce Attley’s Nyarlathotep (Crawling Chaos) statue.
I hope to sculpt a few more (with much better photographs). This took about two months of spare time so doing an Azathoth, Shub-Niggurath, and Yog-Sothoth sculpt seems possible.
Thanks for looking.
Here is my interpretation of the pipe man lamp sculpture. The red valve handle turns the lamp on and off. The dangling, lowered leg rotates up under the cocked leg to allow the lamp to sit on flat surfaces.
EDITED – I just installed the larger 4.5 inch bulbs. It is only a 40watt bulb which allows me to use it without being blinded. Also, I find the larger bulb more visually appealing.
I’ve decided to name him, Ferrous Bueller.
Here’s the tower I made some years ago in anticipation of a siege scenario. The resin portion is a terrain piece from Gale Force Nine (GF9). By using the various ladders and the visually obscured hatchway atop the stone tower portion, models can access every floor.
Completely loaded, the tower holds approximately 100 ~ 150 goblin models.
Here’s the Gale Force 9 terrain model I used to start with.
Here’s this past weekend’s project. It is a gas pipe and pine wood 2″ x 10″ bookcase that is 4 foot wide. It allows 8 foot of storage floor to ceiling. It was about $300 USD in materials, but it is 250% bigger than the case I was looking to replace so it still was less than purchasing the equivalent shelf space in new book cases. Here we see my inpatients as the shelves are still wet and the pipes (while scrubbed clean) have yet to be coated. I plan on using clear spray paint since I prefer the metal gray to the black color recommended by many D.I.Y. sites.
A flange and a small pipe nipple act as the feet. with a 2″ threaded pipe nipple in the wood hole. A connector is screwed in place at both sides of the 2″ nipple. By the time the 12″ pipe and top and bottom connectors are added, there is about a 14″ clearance. At the second shelf from the bottom, I used a tee split connector allowing me to attach the lower portion to the wall. Two flanges and a short pipe attach to a 1″x4″ which allows me to screw the board into wall studs at whatever locations are necessary. I used the same method at the top.
Well, it took a month to get the cage lights from China, but they finally arrived. Two 60 watt LED bulbs brighten the entire room.
Here’s some older work I did years ago, but hadn’t posted here. I really like the end look. Unfortunately, the game’s local popularity died rather quickly. In addition, no one was into playing the land battles.
The square bases shown here are about one inch (1″) in size.
Here’s my construction crew (Carpenter/Painter/Foreman/Architect) with a siege tower i built some time ago. I made them as companions for those particularly long project builds. I used regular masking tape folded back on itself for the blueprint paper. It has a slight texture and it quite tough. Originally, I was going to make the blueprints replaceable, but I’ve since reconsidered. The painter is attached to the braced pole by a bamboo rod which is long enough to act partially as a counter balance to the seated painter.