Heavy Machine Gun / I’ve concluded I can make a tripod, but it won’t be as cheap as I hoped. It might be cheaper to buy one and utilize it for future projects as well. Although, at the moment, I have no future projects which would make use of it.
I have some gears on the way to add to the steampunk look. Hopefully it’ll be here before week’s end.
Multiple parts arrived for several projects at once. I decided to make the barrel for the HMG. The water jacket is proving to e the pain I thought it would. It killed both batteries and I still have at least one more layer of sheet metal to drill through. The kicker is I believe I have one more layer in the center that I can’t reach with my drill bits. Of course, my progress assumes I’ll be able to make due with a 3/8 inch rod instead of the 1/2 rod that I already bought. It really hinges on the sturdiness of the 3/8 inch which I didn’t even consider when at Lowes yesterday. I might make it to Home Depot tomorrow and pickup the other rod.
I don’t like the muzzle brake so I bought a new one that should look better…if it fits. I think the barrel will need to be thicker, but that’s almost preferable. I think I have the overall dimensions for the receiver, but, as usual, I’m awaiting the arrival of a few parts before I can do a proper mock-up. I’m still guessing how best to do the back half. In fact, I’ve been rethinking the entire design. I’m considering adding an access panel, much like the engine compartment on a Model T. I’m not certain I have enough gauges. I think I’m one short. Three or four should be enough. I also realized I need a few valves. I’m pretty pleased with last night’s purchase. To mention it is to give away the surprise when I have some pics.
I have a few new ideas for the “tripod”. I need to work out a couple details before I’ll know if it’s feasible or not.