Well, the cabinet is about as done as it will get. I intend to do a few touch ups , but for the most part it is finished.
The things planned to store in the cabinet are quite minuscule in number compared to the amount of items displaced by the cabinet. I should have built was shelving instead.
The cabinet is 50″ wide and nearly 6′ tall and 20″ deep. It is lit by track lighting and can be dismantled for movement (although this is an utter pain in the ass).
Thanks for looking.
I’ve been on somewhat of a buying spree with antique firearms lately. I’m a low end collector and these are relatively cheap and impractical since ammunition needs to be made from scratch as they are all 1860’s through 1898 in age. (I wouldn’t be surprised if a few became props in my steampunk projects.)
Here’s the gun rack I’ve needed for quite some time to get my firearms out of the closet/basement. It is pine with a “gunstock” colored stain which gives it a red hue like cherry wood. I was trying to match the television stand, but need at least one more coat. I skipped the obligatory black or red felt and went with a black quilted cloth instead which I believe enhances the design. The lower right pic shows the quilting, but the color is slightly distorted by my Edison bulb lighting.
It is 5 feet by 2 feet in size to accommodate the longer barrels of the period. It has brass brackets placed closer together to fit short carbines. I also used peg board for the backboard so I have the option to hang items in various locations If needed. The contact cement used to bond the cloth to the backboard still fills the house. I threw it together using pocket hole screws (the Kreg system). Build time was about 12 hours with an intermittent overnight wait for the stain to dry.
I actually cut the wood for a second, identical gun rack, but only had the room to work on one at a time. The second can wait until I absolutely need it.
Here’s this past weekend’s project. It is a gas pipe and pine wood 2″ x 10″ bookcase that is 4 foot wide. It allows 8 foot of storage floor to ceiling. It was about $300 USD in materials, but it is 250% bigger than the case I was looking to replace so it still was less than purchasing the equivalent shelf space in new book cases. Here we see my inpatients as the shelves are still wet and the pipes (while scrubbed clean) have yet to be coated. I plan on using clear spray paint since I prefer the metal gray to the black color recommended by many D.I.Y. sites.
A flange and a small pipe nipple act as the feet. with a 2″ threaded pipe nipple in the wood hole. A connector is screwed in place at both sides of the 2″ nipple. By the time the 12″ pipe and top and bottom connectors are added, there is about a 14″ clearance. At the second shelf from the bottom, I used a tee split connector allowing me to attach the lower portion to the wall. Two flanges and a short pipe attach to a 1″x4″ which allows me to screw the board into wall studs at whatever locations are necessary. I used the same method at the top.
Well, it took a month to get the cage lights from China, but they finally arrived. Two 60 watt LED bulbs brighten the entire room.