Tag Archives: display Cabinet

48″ Display Case (IKEA Mod)

Starting life as an IKEA all glass display case (I never trusted the design) this project has the distinction of beginning as a five feet wide case for the Icehouse Game club, but word came down near completion that the space was no longer available.  Thus, Thursday’s project became a redesign on Friday.  Saturday I took up hammer and saw and drove on.

Unfortunately, the project turned out to be longer than expected and larger than expected.  The result is no room or time to finish the Martian Long Gun.

Saturday ended with a picture of a promising start.  Things looked like it might be a two day build.

PLAN B - Day 1 Doors and Sides  Unfortunately, Sunday turned out to be primarily revisiting Saturday’s labors due to the groggy mind caused by late night woodworking.  Sunday ended with a bit of progress.  The front surrounding face was made and the boards for the back wall ready for pocket drilling.  The camera refused to focus.

PLAN B - Day 2 (Front Face) (1)

Day 3 and the back is pretty much ready for final gluing and screwing; However, before I can install the panels, I must first glue on a carpet.  I’m using carpet because the pile should cover over any holes placed thru the peg board.  The current carpet is more like the fuzzy part of Velcro than like the short pile rug I had in mind.  I’m visiting a different Home Depot to see what they might have.  I have a 1/4″ black carpet, but originally wanted a red short pile.  Anyways, thanks for looking.

PLAN B - Day 3 (Back Panel)

Well, the carpet was a bust.  I could not find any I liked and I’m not certain the brackets would lay properly since the pile would probably keep it pushed out.  Instead, I went with red velvet which will probably look like dookie if I should ever expose the holes made by the brackets.  Anyways, the panels were completed yesterday and are ready to install, however, the basement is too dirty to install early, so the five panels remain on my living room floor.

Plan B - Day 4 (Red Panel)

(Day 5) I worked worked on the base and needed to add planks to the tops and bottoms of the side pieces so they meet the top of the front facing.  Also, the bottom planks allow me to screw the sides to the base.

Day 7 – I built the top and stained all of the pieces.  The stain matches the floor board color pretty well.  A coat of polyurethane would probably match them up, but I’m not going to use it.  It looks good enough.  I didn’t really sand down the edges as I should, because I didn’t want to risk damaging the prefinished surface as I did in one spot.  I’m skipping the base molding since it really is just one more thing to get damaged or in the way.

Day 8 – The basement was too dirty to do a dry fit, so I just put it together upstairs in its intended place.  Here is the link to the final outcome.

 

Leave a comment

Filed under Uncategorized, Woodworking