Tag Archives: Carbine

STEAMPUNK SUBMACHINE GUN (SATCHEL GUN)

WORK IN PROGRESS

(Updated 05/08/17)

 Storied Background

“The idea behind the gun was to create a firearm capable of being carried in a small satchel and provide deterring firepower until an escape can be made. During last minute design, the requirement was added for an attachable shoulder stock and bayonet. The order for a bayonet was ignored and the stock was given a design borrowed from a popular carbine of the age.”

Design

I wanted to make something like the guns used by lackies in the movie League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. Also, I wanted something compact so the original idea was to follow the Magpul FMG9 folding sub-machine gun. The prop is designed for display and perhaps light handling during LARPing.

Aside from the removable magazine and folding foregrip, the gun has no other moving parts. I did not want to complicate the design as I always do. I chose to save the complexity for my next projects.

The upper portion of the gun is only one inch wide with the thickest (hand grips) area being only one and a half inches thick.

Sight design proved difficult as a simple, yet interesting, design was needed. In the end, I kept it simple and tossed on a short scope remeniscent of modern firearms modifications.

I took pictures of the work in progress, but not until later in the build.  Here are a few ideas I jotted down to guide myself. As you can see, the stock was quite baffling. PWB M1-07 Notes

I’m looking forward to utilizing what I learned in my next gun project. I want to make a gun that uses a locking lug system such as the Luger pistol or the Pederson rifle. I definitely want it to incorporate moving parts.

Construction

The design has no actual firearm parts using only stock metal and wood from the local DIY store along with a few found items. I used only common hand and power tools. A cordless drill for light work and a proper corded drill for most of the labor. I cheated a bit by using a grinding wheel which speeds things up, but is nothing that cannot be completed manually. In actuallity, the wheel actually caused me to use the hand files more than once to correct some overzelous grinding so going quick is not always the best route.

When building, I constructed all the metal pieces before fitting the wood.

I quickly ran into trouble making the stock both folding and steampunky. In the end, I chose ‘punk over function. The handle is split into two pieces. The upper half is attacked to the reciever while the lower half remains with the ammunition magazine.

In addition, the stock is attached to the magazine handle allowing easy addition or removal. Of course, one loses the use of the stock when reloading. For this reason, the Satchel Gun was issues with a second, stockless magazine allowing the gunner to respond to any close range enemy advancements until the stocked magazine was loaded. The stocked was then swapped with the extra magazine allowing more accurate engaugement with the enemy. Thus, the short magazine was intended for defense until the stocked magazine was avaialble for offensive fire.

At this time, I do not have a short (w/o stock) magazine available. However, since I like the result and the construction is relatively simple, I suspect I will be using the magazine for future builds as well.

A folding foregrip/handle is placed just below the muzzle and theoretically acts as both foregrip and charging handle. However, on this prop, the handle only folds and unfolds. Although, it is sturdy enough to be used.

Well, I had to file off all the paint and some of the corners, but after a generous amount of wax, the handle and magazine fit together nice and snug. This means I should not need to bolt them together as I feared earlier.  The copper tube used for the barrel is nearly lost in the shadows.  It will also be painted black and the shoulder stock will have additional length added.  Trigger, sights, scope and interior parts are also in the works.  

PWB M1-07 (WIP)

Update (05/06/17) follows — I revisited the shoulder stock.  I attempted to ‘punk it up.  I added the foregrip furniture and folding handle.  The furniture is only test pieces.  The actual grips will be oak to match the shoulder stock.  They are only held by rubber bands at the moment, but I like the idea of something more than attaching them with screws.  The folding grip is only held in place by friction at the moment.  I might work out a spring system?  I need to work out the scope/sights on the top of the gun.  ALso, the hand grips need to be added (somehow).

DSCN0518

Update:  the spring idea for the folding handle failed.  I’ve moved onto assembling and installing the interior works.  Since this is a display only, the internals are held in place by a nail head.

 Update:  (Photo follows) Added a sling which required extensive testing.  Glad I did because I don’t want to remake a new stock.  I replaced the copper tube barrel with a piece of black gas pipe.  I is thicker and looks more like a real barrel.  The foregrip is only a mock-up.  The folding handle is down, but blends in  with the background.  Thankfully it does not interfere with the front swivel.  I also worked out the scope and its mount, but have not attached it here.  The scope will be capable of flipping to the side.  However, there will not be any iron sights to use in lieu of the scope.  The trigger and trigger guard are still needed.

DSCN0519

Update (05/08/17) [No pics] — I added a trigger and trigger guard tonight.  I’ve also decided how to attach the grips to the handle.  I want a way to easily separate the mag from the handle, but at the moment the only solution is to screw them together or use some sort of pin.  The only other thing before painting is making and fitting the hand grips and fore grips.

Leave a comment

Filed under Cosplay, LARP, Props, Steampunk, Uncategorized, Woodworking