I’ve been on a ship building spree the past month or so. I am about half finished with my Goblins display/fighting ship (tis’ a proper ship as it holds a small torpedo boat as well). Anyways, it is half of a wrecked ship with the damaged end held above the water by fish nets worth of floating crates and barrels. I finally got the barrels and crates, but. . .
I have been on a Steampunk Sky ship kick in the past week. After slapping together the goblin boat above and a 1:300 scale corvette boat for use with Fighting Sails rules by Osprey Wargames, I decided to try and make nice ones I could be proud of when showing them off.
HMS B Carol Fuhl (aka the Be Careful)
I decided to use the Cloudships and Gunboats of Mars from the old Space: 1889 game by Frank Chadwick. Making a copy of the Aphid class gunboat is almost mandatory for anyone interested in making Martian fight vessels so I’ve built a copy in about 6mm scale. The end result is a bit chunk for 1mm = 1 foot, but I’m more concerned with the visual appeal at the moment. I’m making at least one more ship (perhaps USA or France) from the game as well.
The game rules for Chadwick’s game are overly complicated for the style I’m looking for so I’m looking for a different rules set. The theme is steampunk Martian sky fliers.
Here’s a Work in Progress. Mostly have only to paint it.
Well, the test ended with mixed results. The corner was intentionally torn as an adhesion test. I think I should wipe the leather with a degreasing soap before applying leather next time. I think this might be the end of the project. Functionally speaking, we are better off using a laminated copy glued to a steel sheet for magnetically tracking territories owned.
The surface has a sheen to it despite two attempts with Dulcote. Overall, the picture is hazy and obscured in all but the important parts; namely, the numbers, legend and title. After printing I used a black gel pen to give a shadow to all the numbers, title and scale. I then yellowed the numbers with a yellow highlighter. The legend was missing too much to not fill in the blanks and to make some uniformity I had to write the entire legend. Much of it was just tracing over the words underneath.
Here is the image before transferring.
The detail in the black artwork was completely lost and I feared tearing of the image so I did not rub off the backing as well as I should have. This image will be laminated and attached to a steel back to allow use of magnets for tracking progress.
In conclusion, using a laser copy probably would be better, but I was able to obtain only ink jet copies. Despite all I read on the internet, I was able to use an ink jet copy and transfer it to both wood and leather. In addition to transfer testing, I was also able to better learn how to use my Photoshop Pro program.
Anyways, thanks for looking.
As always, completion of one project leads to a hundred more. While filling the display case, I realized I need a few things to better display some items. I have a few books I bought off of Etsy (made by Mille Cuirs) that I want to display, but I could not find a suitable display stand so I created my own using some oak and a broken 3/8″ thick glass shelf I happen to have laying about. The glass was supposed to be trash, but now that I realized I can cut it, i’ll keep it.
I want to do something with the rear base. I thought of painting it black, but that seems too simple. Perhaps add a tapper to narrow the width?
I have one more book by Mille I want to display and the above look is equally suitable so its display stand will be pretty much the same except smaller.
Here’s my first attempt at tooling soapstone. Overall it came out well. The praying hands are a bit off. It is inspired by Bruce Attley’s Nyarlathotep (Crawling Chaos) statue.
I hope to sculpt a few more (with much better photographs). This took about two months of spare time so doing an Azathoth, Shub-Niggurath, and Yog-Sothoth sculpt seems possible.
Thanks for looking.
Here is my interpretation of the pipe man lamp sculpture. The red valve handle turns the lamp on and off. The dangling, lowered leg rotates up under the cocked leg to allow the lamp to sit on flat surfaces.
EDITED – I just installed the larger 4.5 inch bulbs. It is only a 40watt bulb which allows me to use it without being blinded. Also, I find the larger bulb more visually appealing.
I’ve decided to name him, Ferrous Bueller.
Here’s the current state of the sewing project. Games Workshop scrapped the Warhammer universe completely meaning this might never be used again. However, Kings of War (by Mantic Games) is gaining popularity so fingers crossed.