I’ve been on somewhat of a buying spree with antique firearms lately. I’m a low end collector and these are relatively cheap and impractical since ammunition needs to be made from scratch as they are all 1860’s through 1898 in age. (I wouldn’t be surprised if a few became props in my steampunk projects.)
Here’s the gun rack I’ve needed for quite some time to get my firearms out of the closet/basement. It is pine with a “gunstock” colored stain which gives it a red hue like cherry wood. I was trying to match the television stand, but need at least one more coat. I skipped the obligatory black or red felt and went with a black quilted cloth instead which I believe enhances the design. The lower right pic shows the quilting, but the color is slightly distorted by my Edison bulb lighting.
It is 5 feet by 2 feet in size to accommodate the longer barrels of the period. It has brass brackets placed closer together to fit short carbines. I also used peg board for the backboard so I have the option to hang items in various locations If needed. The contact cement used to bond the cloth to the backboard still fills the house. I threw it together using pocket hole screws (the Kreg system). Build time was about 12 hours with an intermittent overnight wait for the stain to dry.
I actually cut the wood for a second, identical gun rack, but only had the room to work on one at a time. The second can wait until I absolutely need it.
Here’s this past weekend’s project. It’s a work in progress so I’m only about half finished. It’ll be used as a city map for a Dungeons and Dragons game. I’m pretty happy with the results since I’ve only ever attempted the isometric village scene once before. A few structures and techniques I borrowed from a pic off the internet. I’ll expand a bit to the northwest and much to the northeast. I was saving the space along the right edge and southeast for the legend and number description. I’ll be numbering it, but probably on a non-numbered photocopy so i can switch things around in the future. I’ll probably just print and tape the descriptions and legend onto the page just before photocopying. Again, this will allow me to make changes in the future.
Updated (8/11/16) – I’ve decided to include canals by expanding onto a new poster board to the right. I’m not certain I like the results thus far. The legend (seen here under the ruler) will be added during photocopying so I will have space. It contains the businesses in both numeric and alphabetical order for quicker discovery.
Although I’ve been working on the Steampunk Sentry project this evening, I realized I forgot to post this picture. It’s a little diorama on a Kings of War horde sized base.
I ran out of torsos so I used bits of sprue and covered them with shields. To the upper left, one goblin is taking a punch in the face. About midway the banner bearer has surrounded himself with shields. Dead goblins litter the front line. The leader is at the center with a sword over head.
I need to make up some bowmen next, but can’t find the models in my house (neither GW nor KoW). THey are here somewhere.
This is the cabinet portion of the Steampunk heavy machine gun. I need to work on the gun sights, plumbing, legs/stand, and other details before I take the final photographs.
Here’s the step by step progress: STEP-BY-STEP or https://fleetinginterests.wordpress.com/steampunk-heavy-machine-gun-sentry/
I’ve been working on the Steampunk Machine Gun Sentry project. I expect to have the gun’s cabinet finished soon. That is to say, I’ll have all but the stand portion completed.
Here is my interpretation of the pipe man lamp sculpture. The red valve handle turns the lamp on and off. The dangling, lowered leg rotates up under the cocked leg to allow the lamp to sit on flat surfaces.
EDITED – I just installed the larger 4.5 inch bulbs. It is only a 40watt bulb which allows me to use it without being blinded. Also, I find the larger bulb more visually appealing.
I’ve decided to name him, Ferrous Bueller.