Steampunk Machine-gun Sentry

UPDATES ARE NOW BEING MADE TO THE DEDICATED PAGE:  https://fleetinginterests.wordpress.com/steampunk-heavy-machine-gun-sentry/

I’ve been working on the HMG the past weeks.  I’ve made more progress than shown, but I can’t assemble it further until I get the sides finalized.  A little work still remains, but the photo shows the all but completed barrel jacket assembly.  I might lash a leather strap around the upright filler before I attach the cap.  Also, I’ll make the knot less noticeable.  Thanks for your interest.

Image

EDITED (5/9/16)  I’ve been putting some hours into the Sentry project.  I have the cabinet distressed and stained.  Both sides are completed and ready for assembly.

For the most part, the inside is all but finalized.  The gear interaction has been figured out, but I need to mock up the barrel and firing mechanism.  The empty brass chute needs to be attached as well as painted.  Exactly how it’ll be attached is a good question at the moment.

I haven’t began to design the steam engine/plumbing, but I have stumbled across suitable gun sights.

The barrel and barrel jacket remain as ugly as the picture above.  However, I have the para cord to restring the leather cover.  I still haven’t figured how to cap the top without glue or insulation foam.

As it turns out, the muzzle flash seems to be the only actual gun part used in the construction.  I’ll probably make a replacement in the future.  As can be seen in the following photo, the steam engine will be positioned beneath the barrel jacket instead of beside it.  DSCN0427

I’ll begin work on the tripod/base as soon as the cabinet is completed which should be pretty soon.  It’ll be four legged and shorter than the old swivel chair base would allow meaning I might actually be able to display it under the glass-topped end table like I originally envisioned.

EDITED (5/10/16)  –  I believe I’ve completed the internal feed and shooting mechanism.

Next, the steam engine and plumbing need to be added.  I’m waiting on some glass covers for my gauges (which will probably have to be homemade).  I scrapped the few gauges I have since they took a bit too much space and are too modern.  Making my own will allow me to customize them for machine gun use.

EDITED (5/12/16) – Yesterday I spent my hours finishing what I thought was already done.  Today I caught up, but before I assemble the cabinet, I need to replace the Swiss cheesed inner boards.  I’ve taken the opportunity to readjust the protruding gear so more can be seen.  The replacement board isn’t as wide as the original meaning I have less room for error.

The inner center board mounts the barrel’s threaded rod as well as the internal roller placed above the barrel and the hole for the spring and guide rod placed in the rear of the cabinet.  DSCN0432

Here is a photo of the interior.  It’ll be a bit more presentable when finished.  The space to the right shows the rear pocket which will hold the “recoil spring” and maintenance props.

EDITED (5/13/16) – The inside gears are about as complete as they are going to get.  I attached the top completing the cabinet.  Of course, measuring one and cutting twice I manged to put several holes into the bottom board’s underside.  It looks like someone hit it with buck shot, but thankfully it won’t be seen.  I have repainted the ammunition chute and the side plate.  I can see an end in sight.  I need to get a punch set to make a brass identification plaque to mount to the side plate.

In the morning, I should be ready to mount the engine and begin the plumbing.

I was going to take a photo, but I forgot the memory card and was too lazy to go back to the basement.  It looks nearly identical to yesterday’s picture.

EDITED (16-5-18) – Progress is being made.  A lot of time is being wasted while waiting for paint to dry.  Also, I’ve removed and patched up the mounting holes and recessed door bolts.  My realignment of the front and back boards caused the holes to be out of alignment by a few millimeters.  Just enough to force me to fill i the gap and start over.  I haven’t done any drilling yet.  I’m waiting on some threaded rod and wing nuts from Ebay before I do anything final.

The muzzle flash hider arrived, but I’m not certain I like the look.  I situated the engine and decided to use 1/4″ tubing.  The larger scale goes better with the overall look.

Next, I need to prep and mount the barrel so I can begin running copper tubing and placing the gauges and valves.  I’ll spray the interior gears and mechanisms with some fine oil (WD-40) for protection against the notorious humidity here in Delaware.  I’ll do so just before I remount the ammo chute.  Otherwise, I’ll get the cloth ammo belt full of oil when I load it.

UPDATES ARE NOW BEING MADE TO THE DEDICATED PAGE:  https://fleetinginterests.wordpress.com/steampunk-heavy-machine-gun-sentry/

Advertisements

Leave a comment

Filed under LARP, Props, Uncategorized, Woodworking

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s